Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Junior High=Second Mortgage

I finally decided I should check my mail today.  I figured the mail person would start spitting into my mailbox soon or give me double junk mail if I didn't clean the box out.  Honestly, I hate to get the mail because inevitably all that awaits me are bills, catalogs for stuff I can't afford, or junk mail.  

Today I received a fat little envelope from my daughter's future alma matter - Timberline Middle School.  I excitedly opened the letter to find out what the skinny is for this whole junior high thing.  Turns out, the orientation is March 12th.  They get to see the school, try a locker, ask questions, meet with some counselors and sign up for classes.  Exciting stuff.

Next page was about which math class your kid should be put in.  There are four categories:  Math 7 (Dumb kids), Pre-Algebra with a tutorial Class (slightly smarter kids), Pre-Algebra (Regular kids), and Pre-Algebra Honors ( Not my kid).  I don't know which one Brook should go into, but I am leaning toward the Pre-Algebra with a tutorial class.  I think she will do okay if she has some support.  I think they take a test at the end of the year to determine where they go.  At least, that is what they do in Granite District.  We shall see...

Next page was an immunization requirement page.  Tetanus/Diptheria Booster.  Bummer for Brook.  Luckily, she is not the child that hides under the chair in the corner of the doctor's office when the shots are the order of the day.  She will live and do it with a smile.  She is tough.

Next page was about Band Camp.  Geeky, I know.  Brook wants to play the flute or the violin.  I was pulling for the flute until I saw that Band Camp (geeky, snorting laugh) was going to interfere with Trek this summer.  Is it wrong to steer her towards Orchestra Camp instead because it is in July and conflicts with nothing?  Will she be in therapy over my pushing her to be an Orchestra Geek instead of a Band Geek?  So far I am leaving it up to her... 

I was giddy as a school girl on prom night until I noticed the back page of the original letter.  This is where they were hiding the nitty gritty stuff.  The Fee Schedule!  Free public school officially ends in Junior High.  The average 7th grader pays $77 in fees a year.  There is a fee for EVERYTHING!  Even to change a class!  They didn't even do that in college!  

Don't worry, I'm not going to get up in arms about the fees.  I know the money is going to a good cause.  I guess I was just surprised.  I don't remember my parents paying for me to use the computer lab (See Computer Lab fee- $10), but I'm sure I was oblivious to that sort of thing back then.  

I think the Junior High is going to be great for Brook.  I looked on the school web page and saw that they have math tutors available (Thank you!) for the students (for free) and a program to help with students that don't complete their work called ZAP.  I hope Brook won't have to participate in the ZAP program (see previous post), but at least it is there if we need to do another smack down.  They also have tons of enrichment classes available to the students (Dance, Music, Drama, etc.).  

I do have to say that the cost of Junior High did prompt me to warn my neighbor with triplets.  I told her to start saving now.  She thanked me for the heads up.


No comments: