Natalie started saying, "Bye" to people as they leave. When we first heard it we all thought it was cute. After hearing it a few more times, we noticed that she wasn't saying, "Bye", she was actually saying, "Die".
We have had a good time joking around with this one as you can imagine. "Die Dad!"
So next time Natalie says, "Die" as you are leaving, don't take it to heart.







5 comments:
my niece, olivia, said the same exact thing at natalie's age. it didn't last very long. she's 27 months and figured out the d vs b thing. she still confuses t and c, but is starting to figure out the difference between those two consonants.
I love mispronunciations! And 'late talking' is overly stressed . . . all the grandmas were worried that Annie was a 'late talker', but around 2 her speech just shot up into the stratosphere, and you would not even believe the stuff my precocious two year old says to me! She told her little sister to, "Please stop doing that, you are making me nervous," the other day, and explained to me that, "I can't talk on the phone right now, I'm not available."
I love it! That is so cute you'll have to catch it on tape. So I think I have mastered the speech area if you ever have any questions. My top three suggestions to get more vocalizations are: 1)When you read books dont worry about the words try to point to the same pictures and repeat what they are until she says them on her own. Once she will say one word try using descriptive words to encourage a two word phrase "run bear" "red car" then once she has two words increase it to three. Second, they have these Signing Time videos that are upbeat and fun. My kids know about 20 signs but I found the videos mostly encouraged them to use the words rather than the sign. Signs like "Milk", "more", "all done", "share", "please", "thank you" and "sorry" I found the most useful in eliminating frustrations. (3) While playing with her repeat noises she makes and try to add on to it for example she says "O" and you say "O pop!" Or some other fun sound and ham it up good. I would also recommend getting her ears checked. With my kids we have chronic ear infections. I figured out after great frustration that the doctor would say with Drew he doesn't have an ear infection but failed to tell me he had chronic fluid. If you have fluid in your ears as a little kid it is like being underwater in a swimming pool so that is why it is harder for them to hear sounds. I have been to several speech therapist and can tell you the ropes. I think the biggest key is to talk lots to them, give them opportunities to answer questions ex: Do you want to wear the pink shirt or the white shirt? to encourage usefulness in talking, peer interaction and playing one on one is important too. We just got a new membership to the children's museum and I can get two friends in for free if Drew is at school so if you ever want to workout going I will get you in and you can save $17. If you want more strategies let me know. This was my biggest trial with my boys...luckily Brielle talks non stop.
Thanks for the tips and reassurance!
That is SO sweet!
Post a Comment